Sunday 18 June 2017

Freedom to Choose by Yvonne Witter


The morning after polling day, I decided to camp out on [FB] Face Book, with a cup of piping hot tea, crowned with a slice of lemon. As my PC whirred into action, my ear was picking up what the ‘regular’ callers to LBC Radio, had to say about the election results. I quickly posted on FB, that the LBC presenters would be choking on their saliva, as they reported the results. There were more than a few callers from both major parties, incandescent with rage, apoplectic even, and others, who were overwhelmed with joy, that ‘their leader’ had won. Anyone engaged in the political process in the UK in June 2017, knew that both those emotional responses were a tad extreme, considering the reality of the results.

I laughed a lot. My conclusion was that some LBC presenters, could conceal their emotions better than others. The callers needed not show any restraint, after all they were not directly responsible for broadcast content, so of course they let rip, and depending on the direction of travel, and how it resonated with the presenter of a particular show, callers were allowed to eat into advertising and news time. Otherwise, they were seriously curtailed. It is what is known as media freedom, I believe.

Meanwhile on FB, I was hopping on and off ‘friends’ threads, and whipping up quite a frenzy. The non-voters’ / conspiracy theorists, were trying to convince me, of their justification for not voting, and me retorting about Emily Pankhurst and Harriett Tubman. I even resorted to name calling, as ‘pimps who feed off the energy of voters', who at least were throwing their hats in the ring, to try to make a difference, rather that lying prostrate ringside, and blowing hot air. I asked one man, if when he or his family needed medical services, if they beamed themselves up to Mars? Of course, I then proceeded to answer my own question, in order to make my point. I was on a roll, and had garnered the support of others with even more vitriol, for these passive aggressors. Who were confirming themselves, to be wrong and strong, in their condemnation of voters, as ‘sheep’ for participating. I have heard the saying that arguing with an idiot makes you one too, but it is entertaining for a minute.

Then lo and behold, I stumbled on a post referring to a nude image of a USA ‘celebrity’ that had been taken down by Instagram. I found the airbrushed, plastic looking image, partially clothed with hairy areas faded out, and considered for a moment if this was a thread [debate] that I wanted to join. Well, I was already in combative mood and went in. Gently at first, because the pseudo feminist hijackers, with the ‘right to choose’ as their clarion call, did not appear to understand that in choosing, we have responsibilities, which is the same viewpoint, I was putting to the proud non-voters, who if they did not have the right to vote, would be marching across London to Number 10 to demand their right.

This photo of a hairy mound, was being commented on as ‘a revolutionary act’. One internet ‘click’ and we can see millions of women in this state. However, the cult of ‘celebrity’ seemed to make this particular photo a talking point, a ‘cause célèbree ’. I do not believe in ‘Celebrity culture’, and claim not to participate in it.

My belief here does confuse me a bit though, because back in 2008, I organised a coach trip from London to Old Trafford in Manchester, to watch the Reggae Boyz Jamaican football team play Manchester United. I was excited, anticipating the game. As the Manchester United team, David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney and others walked onto the pitch. Well, I totally fell apart. As the tears streamed down my face, my son, who was about 20 at the time, was saying through gritted teeth, ‘pull yourself together mum’… all I could do was point and say between sniffles, and screams, Oh my god ‘there’s David Beckham’.  Does that make me a hypocrite? Well, whatever, celebrity culture is rubbish. At least Footballers achieve something, and they work hard, enough said.

My parting shot, regarding the ‘freedom of choice to expose your minge, if you want to’ debate was that anyone could do it. It did not require any talent. I myself would need to be airbrushed, so that only about 25% of me remained, to fit the current beauty ideal, but hey ho. We do have the technology.

On more serious note though, many died for fought freedoms, enduring untold suffering and anguish. The choices we make, in the wake of justifiable rights and privileges, at a time when we are surrounded by a multitude of opportunities, is worth interrogating. I am indebted to those that came before me, who enabled my current rights as a female, and as a citizen, and to spout feminism whilst demeaning that which is sacred about the feminine, is an oxymoron.



Emily Pankhurst
Harriet Tubman
        

No comments:

Post a Comment